So Bloomberg Businessweek has a really funny article about all the wealthy people that need to go see shrinks.
Get this–overall wealthy people are cursed with “Affluenza” (not influenza silly) and have “elevated levels of depression, anxiety, psychosomatic issues (physical symptoms from stress), and self-mutilation.”
Some specific reasons they go for mental health help:
– Why Me–A trying issue to deal with is their guilt feelings about being so darn rich, while others are starving, homeless, and can’t make ends meet.
– Feeling A Little Lonely (And Hated)–They can’t help thinking that perhaps people only like them for their money.
– Aimless In Life–What’s the purpose of their lives if they are living on easy street, don’t have to work, and can buy their way out of trouble.
– Money To Mess You Up–Some people have so much money, they can squander it on bad investments, but also on alcohol, drugs, sex, and so on.
– Fear Of Losing It All–Terrible thing about having so much money is you have to worry about losing so much money.
So next time you are thinking about protesting against the top .1% who have as much as the bottom 90%, have a heart because the wealthy have a lot of problems too. ;-)
(Source Photo: here with attribution to Chris Goldberg)