Check out this new augmented reality virtual fitting room technology called Virtual Interactive Podium (VIPodium) by Russian Company, Fitting Reality.
Using Kinect, motion-sensing technology, you use simple gestures to:
– Select, mix and match, and try on clothes in 3-D.
– Twirl around and see yourself in 360-degrees
– Take pictures, email them or share them on Facebook
– Get outfit information including sizing, and
– Place clothing in wish lists for future consideration or into the online shopping cart for purchase
Here is another video of a very cool implementation of this technology at the men and women’s TopShop store in Moscow.
The people are visibly engaged and excited shopping and trying on clothes using the latest here for “tech-savy fashionistas.”
Honestly though, I see this more as an augmentation to the physical fitting rooms, in terms of helping select clothes, rather than a replacement, since really seeing how something fits, means actually putting the outfit on.
VIPodium beats simply holding up an new outfit to yourself and looking in the mirror, but it doesn’t come close to seeing how it really feels when it’s when you put it on.
However, add in the interactive social media features, available information, and ability to shop online and I think you got something that makes every consumer feel like a VIP.