Really liked this performance measurement and transparency at Home Depot.
Here are their store performance measures prominently displayed.
Not a high-tech solution, but every measure has its place and metrics.
– Looks at friendly customer service.
– Tracks speed of checkout.
– Measures accuracy of transactions.
This lines up well with the management adage that “you can’t manage what you don’t measure.”
– Identify, collaboratively, your key drivers of performance
– Determine whether/how you can measure them efficiently (i.e. qualitatively, quantitatively)
– Set realistic, stretch targets for the organization
– Communicate the goals and measures, 360 degrees
– Regularly capture the measures and make the metrics transparent
– Recognize and reward success and course correct when necessary
– Reevaluate measures and goals over time to ensure they are still relevant
Wash, rinse, repeat for continuous improvement. 😉
(Source Photo: Dannielle Blumenthal)