So this is the prevailing misguided logic by some for more immigration.
We need immigrants to “reduce the ratio of retirees to workers.”
Because the birth rate has fallen to below replenishment rates (roughly 2.1 births per women).
And since our “trust funds” for social security, medicare, pensions, and the like have NOT been been kept in trust, BUT INSTEAD have been squandered on other things…
Therefore, according to this warped thinking we now need a wave of immigrants to come save us–have lots of babies and grow our economy–to pay for what we should be able to, but can’t–because of gross mismanagement and corruption with the money that was taken out our payroll all our lives supposedly to care for us in our elder years.
The wrong reasons for immigration are expressed by Charles Kenny in Bloomberg Businessweek.
– According to Kenny, “More immigration is both the cheapest and most effective response to the challenge of a shrinking, aging population,” which he frets is “ominous for pension and health-care costs.”
– Kenny’s approach to immigrants is that they are not vital and talented human beings, but rather basically baby machines with higher birth rates for population replenishment, as he states, “Although immigrants rapidly adopt the fertility patterns of their new countries, they still tend to produce more children to begin with.”
– And he says, because most come over as adults, we have the benefits of the workers “without the expense and delay of rearing…[them as] children.”
– Oh, and by the way, Kenny says, “Some newly arrived workers help provide cheap child-care options.”
Wow, how biased, cold, and condescending is that!
Not once does Kenny mention or advocate for immigration for any of these truly worthy reasons:
– Shelter from persecution
– Political asylum
– Promote diversity
– Bring in needed skills, investment, and innovation
– Rejoin families
And what is the result of bringing in immigrants to pay our way?
Well, we’ll need to bring in yet another and another, wave after wave of immigration, because we can’t balance of budget and spend rationally, responsibly, and with an eye toward the future–it’s self-perpetuating immigration for the sake of deadbeatism.
Sweet land of liberty is being thrown out for a bunch of economic opportunists who feel we need “immigrants to [come to] the rescue” rather than join together with us in being great in terms of compassion, humanitarianism, and mutual respect.
(Source Photo: Andy Blumenthal)