So a colleague from a law enforcement agency told a funny story the other day.
When he was an agent-in-training he said they told them, “Keep your eyes open and your mouths shut.”
Basically, you are new–so watch and learn before you do something stupid and potentially get yourselves or someone else in trouble.
But now as someone who been there for decades and is a supervisor, he was interviewing someone right out of school, and in the interview the kid says, “I want to be in charge!”
The difference from Generation X and the new Millennials couldn’t have been starker.
But what did this guy do, he didn’t show the candidate to the door by his earlobes, but rather he ended up hiring him.
Times have changed–not only with all the technology we use–but also in terms of people’s expectations from the job.
What do people want these days–aside from good compensation and comprehensive benefits?
– Engagement through challenging and meaningful work that has tangible outcomes from day one
– Innovating and creating versus pushing paper and doing routine, repetitive work
– Using current and cutting-edge technology
– Opportunities to stay and advance or building the resume to “move out to move up”
– Lots of feedback, teamwork, sharing, and transparency
– Considerable work-life balance
The bottom line is don’t be surprised by the kid who wants to be in charge from the get-go, instead relish their gusto and unleash their talent in your organization–with guidance, they can do amazing things.
It’s not your fathers workplace anymore. 😉
(Source Photo: here with attribution to g Tarded)