So I took this photo of a handout being distributed at a major local university here in Washington, DC.
Sort of ironic for this sign that says:
“Big Government Sucks”
…to be handed out in the capital of the United States of America!
It would make sense that this negative notion of big government is connected to the low approval ratings of Congress (17%) and government services (64.4) provided.
People are seeing and sensing that big government is bad government when it is:
– Dictatorial, corrupt, and discriminatory.
– Mired in fraud, waste, abuse, and coverups.
– Self-serving for the politicians that are elected to serve the people.
– When it is bureaucratic and ineffective.
– When it is confused and without vision or plan for the country.
– When it’s indecisive, makes bad decisions, or can’t successfully execute short- and long-term on it’s mission.
– When it is lacking in basic values of democracy, freedom, and human rights for all.
At the same time, big government can be great government, when it is a beacon of light for its citizens and for the nations of the earth.
– When it protects us from dictators, demagogues, terrorists, weapons of mass destruction, criminals, and all sorts of disasters.
– When it holds strong and cutting-edge the economy, prosperity, innovation, education, and competitive advantage of the nation.
– When it safeguards and keeps sustainable the environment for future generations.
– When it preserves and fortifies freedom, human rights, social equity, equality, and justice.
– When it looks after the needy and less fortunate.
– When it lead the world in exploration, discovery, partnerships, and ultimately doing good for the people, the planet, and our future.
Big government sucks when it goes wrong and then they start handing out these sad signs on our nation’s premier college campuses.
This is a big problem to turnaround?
But with smart, committed, and moral leadership it can be done! 😉
(Source Photo: Andy Blumenthal)