In negotiating an agreement with the West, Iran is masterfully eking out concessions, while we are threatened with the potential for another Holocaust:
– No more answering questions about their past nuclear WMD activities.
– No more gradual sanctions relief.
– No more giving up all their spinning centrifuges.
– No more anywhere, anytime inspections of suspicious military sites.
Actually, this is all quite amazing!
And at the same time as Iran doesn’t give a real inch toward what the West wants, their negotiators are now throwing in yet more of what they want and that includes doubling their oil sales immediately and the removal of the arms and ballistic missile embargo.
Hey, if you are the Iranians in the negotiations–ask and ye shall receive.
But what about what we should be asking for, but are not:
1) Iran needs to give up and dismantle their infrastructure for producing nuclear weapons–ALL of it, period. Isn’t it obvious that Iran having nukes is inevitable if they are allowed to continue to be permitted to have some nuke capability in plain sight and the rest conducted in hiding out of our limited inspections purview?
2) Iran must cease being the leading state sponsor of terrorism world-wide or for that matter any sponsor of terrorism–that is not how civilized nations behave! How can Iran be trusted on any nuke agreement as long as they continue to murder and terrorize innocents just as part of what they do. Just as an example, does anyone remember the 242 U.S. Marines killed in the Beirut barracks bombing. What happened to “We don’t negotiate with terrorists”?
3) Iran cannot continue their overt hatred of the West, while pretending to negotiate an end to sanctions. Chanting “Death to America” (and Israel), burning our flag and our President in effigy, calling us their worst enemy, and threatening to attack and annihilate them is not in spirit of negotiating an agreement, is it? Again, where is foundation for trust here to even make an agreement?
4) Iran can’t deny the truth of the Holocaust and the murder of six million innocent Jewish people in the most cruel ways just 70 years ago and simultaneously sit at the table today with world leaders in suits and ties and smiles, pretending to make a verifiable agreement that means anything.
While we all want true world peace, this leopard has not at all changed its stripes.
The words “Never Again” are not just an empty saying, but rather they are a commitment that all good and decent people must take upon themselves to ensure that hatred, terror, and evil are no longer permitted in the league of civilized nations.
The devil always presents himself in an appealing way, but as history has shown over and over again, he never fails to hurt those who try to appease him.
May G-d guide the leaders of this great nation with wisdom and to see those with whom they negotiate for who they really are–and may a true peace reign in our times.
(All opinions my own.)
(Source Photo: Andy Blumenthal)