Just wanted to share this great site called Disability Blog where people tell about their experiences of being disabled and how they have overcome the odds.
It is hosted by Department of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy.
And it is the official blog of Disability.gov where there is lots of information on “disability programs and services.”
The blog site promotes the “full inclusion of people with disabilities in the workforce and communities nationwide.”
Disability Blog posts guest bloggers on various topics and I read some of the recent posts and they were very good, including:
– Disability rights activism
– Small business loans and mentoring support with SCORE for a veteran with disability
– Resources and support from the Amputtee Coalition for a child that was hurt in a lawn mowing accident
– A courageous description of how someone lives with syndactyly (fused fingers).
– Options for workplace accommodations at the Job Accommodation Network.
As someone myself who has had two total hip replacements, I encourage people to get their personal stories out there to increase disability awareness, rights, and resources and support to help them.
I used to dream about retiring one day and running along the boardwalk and ocean every morning in Florida, but I know that will not happen for me anymore (so thank G-d for swimming).
Disabilities can happen to anyone.
We all need to be sensitive to what it’s like to be different and have unique challenges, and to try and help anyone who does. 😉
(Source Photo: here with attribution to Abhijit Bhaduri)