My daughter brought this incredible video to my attention–conjoined twins Abby & Brittany–age 22–share a body from the waist down.
They have 2 heads and necks, 3 lungs, 2 hearts, 2 gallbladders, 2 stomachs, 1 liver, 1 large intestine, 1 small intestine, 2 left kidneys and 1 right, 1 pelvis, 1 pair of ovaries, 1 uterus, 1 bladder, 1 vagina, and 1 urethra.
The video asks, what happens if:
– 1 gets sick?
– 1 dies?
– Who is the biological mother, if they have a child?
– How do they handle boyfriends?
I understand that 1 controls the left side of the body and 1 the right side–leaves you to imagine the unbelievable coordination issues to do everyday activities like walk, drive, type, swim, and so on that we take for granted.
Yet, despite their life challenges, they are actually staring in their own reality TV show on The Learning Channel (TLC), which premiered on August 28.
Here is a link for more information about these incredible women.
Some of the things that I think about when I watch Abby & Brittany–are not the physical, but more the emotional, psychological, and spiritual issues, such as:
– Do they ever feel lonely?
– How do they handle the need for privacy?
– Are they introverts or extraverts or one of each?
– What are their personalities like?
– Do they like each other?
– Do they fight often and how do they resolve conflict with each other?
– Do they like/dislike similar things?
– Do they share the same religious beliefs?
– Do they feel responsible for each others actions (like if one hits someone or says something hurtful to another)?
– Do they believe in an afterlife?
– Do they intuitively share thoughts, dreams, ambitions (or only when they articulate these to the each other)?
– Do they consider their condition a random occurrence, a “freak act” of nature, a test, a punishment, or something else?
I imagine that they are hugely inspirational and am looking forward to hopefully watch the show tonight at 10 pm with my daughter and learn and marvel how they do it!