What will restarting the economy after Coronavirus look like?
Well Israel has a well-thought-out 4 Phase Plan (pending approval) and I would imagine that the U.S. plan will look something very much like this:
– Phase I: Tech and Finance, some Import/Export industries, 50% of Public Sector, and Preschool
– Phase II: Commerce/Retail Stores, Elementary School (ages 6-10)
– Phase III: Cafes, Restaurants, and Hotels, and most of the rest of the Education system
– Phase IV: Leisure and Entertainment: Culture, Sports, Large Shopping Malls, and Flights
There are 4 additional key provisions to this plan:
– 2 Week Buffer between phases to review and evaluate success before moving forward with the next phase.
– “People over 60 and at-risk populations will not resumenormal activity throughout the four phases.”
– Resuming these activities occurs with the exercise of continued caution (e.g. social distancing, testing, etc.)
– Expect 2nd outbreak in the Fall and therefore continue to build up healthcare capabilities in preparation for this
This sounds like an excellent plan as a basis to reopen and one that we can and should build upon. 😉
(Credit Photo: Andy Blumenthal and thank you to my sister for sharing this with me)